Top secret speedo codes. And another good trip to the breakers.

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Top secret speedo codes. And another good trip to the breakers.
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:03:04 -0500
Why do Brits drink warm beer?
Because Lucas wired their refridgerators.
I guess the Brits knew that they made poor electric stuff.  The clock I
pulled from the MGB at the junk yard is a VDO (German) unit.

I had another good trip to the Budget You-Pull-It.  I bought another set
of gauges from a RB Midget with a 1275.  It seemed odd to have rubber
bumpers and a 1275.  But, it had a good looking dual (water and oil)
gauge.  Sure enough the dual thing works.  So, for another $20.50 I got
a working dual gauge and tach, speedo, fuel, voltage stabilizer, a
couple of flashers, and a few of those inline fuse holders that the
added when they ran out of spaces on the fuse block.  Now I have
accumulated a box full of gauge pieces-parts.

BTW, (Frank, you may know this off-hand)  What little four digit number
do I want on my Smiths speedo if I put a Datsun 5-speed in my Spridget?
My stock speedo has 1376 on it and I have one from a spitfidget that has
1000 on it.  I also have a MGB speedo that has 1000 on it.  I think I
remember someone mentioning that the MGB(120 MPH) speedo guts with the
stock Spridget(100 MPH) face would work pretty well with the 5-speed
kit.

I finally got my stock speedo working.  I broke one trying to zero the
odometer (the car is "exempt" here and the odometer had been broken by
some PO).  I figured out how to zero the other one but I ended up having
to combine the two into one working unit.  Now it I can tackle the wiper
motor, I may have a car that will pass state inspection.

Also, just FYI, someone told me that if you boil water (212F) and put
the Smiths water probe in the water, the needle should go to the N
(Normal) on the C-N-H gauges.  Clever.............

Cheers,
Derf