Re: Good Ed is ard to find

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Good Ed is ard to find
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:46:18 -0400
How much is a lot?  When I felt the play, I thought 'rebuild'.  It is quite
noticably movable.  I removed one rocker from the front and pushed back and
forth on the top of the valve.  <gasp>  Later, when I was trying to remove
some of the varnish from the inside of the valve cover, I noticed the gouge.

I have the Vizard book ( 3rd Ed.  No, not that Ed. ).  Reading it is another
matter.  I was looking at a few paragraphs on blocks.  I think that I would
really like an A+ block, ( though, you may note that I did say that I only
read a few paragraphs. )

I'm kind of paralysed right now.  I don't quite know what to do.  August is
my driving month.  I have a 1098 that runs decently with a gearbox that
doesn't leak ( the Midget's does ), but the diff in the Midget is 3.7:1 and
I'm wondering what that will be like.  ( While I am pleading ignorance, a
ratio of 3.7:1 means 1 turn of the wheel for every 3.7 of the
driveshaft??? )  If I move the Sprite's rear end in, then I will have 4.22:1
( memory, correct me if I got that wrong) and higher springs.  I'll be
driving downhill.  The rear on the Midget has begun to make lots of clunks
when cornering ever since I sprayed graphite in them.  These springs are
very flat.  The history only says that the suspension was lowered  and Spax
shocks were added.  He doesn't say what he did to lower the suspension.  I
don't see any cracks or obvious breaks, but I've always been a bit
suspicious.  I would love to pick up a running, non-smoking 1275 to drop in,
but money is an object.  ( Not an object that I can see, but I understand
the concept. :) )  I don't have the time to rebuild it right now, but may
have time over the winter.  Time is everything.  Some of you may remember
that I got the Midget to drive because I didn't have the time to restore the
Sprite.  This one was supposed to be a driver.  I'm supposed to be working
on this money pit of a house.  So, what do I do?  Buy a 1275 and drop it in?
Buy a good 1275 and drop it in?  ( I could put it in the Sprite later. )
Drop the 1098 in?  Or just give up on driving and start disassembling?
 About an hour or 2 per week. )  An A+ block sounds like a good idea.
That's where my head's at.

Anyone have anything for sale that I could use?

Robert D.
( with 2 black shotgun patterned black spots on my white garage door from
the exhaust being too close. )