No 4th gear, any ideas?

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: No 4th gear, any ideas?
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:39:17 -0400
Ok tranny gurus

On my recent 1275 engine (from junk in the garage) assembly, I decided
to try a different ribcase with this engine.
The engine is fine, the tranny is fine but it will not fully engage into
4th.
I tried it all, I even pulled it out tonight and took it apart.
I replaced the remote housing with a different unit because I thought it
was worn. I had 4th one time, then it dissappeaerd like before.
It is NOT the shifter, remote, or brass slide in the tranny.
It works fine when the trans is off the engine (by hand) and even when
the shafts are being turned, it still fully engages every time.
Bolt it up, it still shifts, turn the engine over, it still shifts into
4th, drive the car, it works once and no more.

I am in the process of making another tranny out of junk in the garage.
(I am running out of junk as I turn it into useable Spridget engines and
trannys)
So if anybody knows why I can't engage 4th, please let me know.
All other gears work pefectly.

thanks
--

Frank Clarici