Re: No Subject

To: clabaw@jpl.nasa.gov, Ankitterer@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No Subject
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 08:06:15 EDT
In a message dated 7/31/01 12:33:01 PM, clabaw@jpl.nasa.gov writes:

<<< I'm finally switching over from wire wheels to steel wheels. The PO
>converted the car to wires several years ago. I understand that the
>correct wire wheel rear axle housing is 0.5 to 0.75 inches narrower
>than the correct steel wheel axle housing. >>

Clay,

You may want to measure your rear axle housing before purchasing adapters.
The easiest way to convert a disc wheel car to wire wheels is to knock out
the welch plug at the bottom of the wire wheel hub and press the axle shaft
out about 3/4in.  This allows the interior splines of the wire wheel axle
shaft to engage the diff.  Perhaps the previous owner did this with your car
when he did the conversion and you may already have a steel wheel axle
housing in the car already.

Rick
Wire-wheeled AN5