Re: Florida x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: trev9@earthlink.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Florida x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:45:13 EDT
In a message dated 8/8/2001 11:45:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
trev9@earthlink.net writes:

> And, David .... based on your comment, what you know
> about Forida, like Ron, is damn very little.

Oops--didn't mean to step on toes.  But actually I know a bit a bout Florida.
 My sister has lived in Clewiston since the late 60's and my Father now lives
there too. We get to Ft. Myers Beach, where my sister owns some apartments,
every October for a few days and immensely enjoy it because it is not as
oppressively hot as the summertime and the massive sticky crowds are not
there then.  We visit with them in Clewiston regularly when we are there.

But, being a Tennessean, I have seen little of the Southern culture or accent
in Florida.  It has been transformed by the huge influx of northern retirees
to the point where it seems that most people to whom you talk in Florida have
northern accents, unless they are visitors from the North-South, i.e.,
Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, etc.  I will give you that it might be greatly
different in the small, tourist-untouched towns.  Kind of like someone who
has been to Tijuiana (Sp?) actually thinking they had ever been to Mexico.
They ain't.  To go to MEXICO you have to drive into the back towns and
actaually see and live what is THERE, and get far away from the border towns.
 Perhaps that is what Roy is talking about, and I could agree.

But methinks we DO agree on the best of cars.

--David C.