RE: Insurance stuff

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Insurance stuff
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:52:19 -0700
I wrote: "In Europe my insurance is cheaper"

List Members,

Cap'n Bob wrote: Correct me if I am wrong but, "over there"
if you sue and don't win, don't you have to
pay court costs?

You are right... at least in the two countries I lived in Europe- France and
Great Britain.  I believe California lawyers don't want that, and they don't
want no-fault insurance either as both lead to fewer lawsuits and less
revenue for them. Lawyer associations will say they do not want the right of
individual to rightfully sue to be restricted- they claim to be fighting for
the "rights of the individual". I don't buy that.

As for no-fault insurance being 'called "everyone's fault" insurance'
(Robert D)- no, I don't believe that. I know a few states here in the US
have this kind of insurance, and I have read it has been successful in
keeping the prices in check, as well as the number and size of lawsuits
down. "No-fault" insurance also means you can get your car repaired if you
have an accident with an uninsured driver, even if you did not pay yet more
money for "uninsured driver coverage", and without going to court- the other
driver may not have any money anyway!.. I don't know about other states, but
we seem to have an awful lot of uninsured drivers in CA.

By the way, I love living in So Cal- but expensive insurance, uninsured
drivers and ease for anyone to sue anyone else are not among the pluses for
living here!

I am off my soap box now- that's my last message on the subject!

Jacques Le Clainche
VARA 1960 Austin-Healey Sprite #4, F Production