Re: Cloth Tops

To: Loud Sprite <loudsprite@yahoo.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cloth Tops
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:58:04 -0400
On Friday 10 August 2001 03:40 pm, Loud Sprite wrote:
> I have seen the Web site for Caribou tops and Prestige
> Autotrim and I'm looking for opinions on both (and
> suggestions of other cloth top makers if you have
> them). Have you bought one, do you like it, is the
> quality holding up, and so on.

Can't say anything about the cloth tops per se, but I have a vinyl Prestige
(the top vinyl, whichever that is) and I am *very* impressed with it. The fit
was perfect, excellent quality, most pleasant phone ordering experience I can
remember. The US 800 number apparently forwards to England and the chap I
spoke with was incredibly courteous and very careful to get the order just
right.

I haven't dealt with Caribou, but as someone else pointed out they do have a
reputation for being a bit on the unfriendly side. The one Caribou top I have
seen close up looked pretty good, though the fit wasn't as good as the
Prestige.

> I did like the look of the zip out rear window of the
> Prestige top although that would be my entire rebate
> and then some.

DO IT! I was in a similar situation - I decided that I really wanted the zip
out window thought, so I traded off canvas material for zip out window.
Haven't regretted it a bit. You get a wonderful breeze through the car with
the side and rear windows down. Of course I prefer having the top all the way
down as much as possible, but some days the sun is just too hot - I have no
interested in getting skin cancer on my head. Also handy on days where the
weather is being unpredictable - quicker to zip up and down as the rain comes
and goes than fighting with getting the top up and down.

HTH!

Eddie
1971 Midget