Checking runout

To: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Checking runout
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 08:32:10 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to those who helped me with my fender question. (Wonder what I'm up
to? I'm contemplating taking the car apart to paint it.) Now for another:

How do you position the equipment to check the runout of a brake disk? I've
fitted new brake disks to my 1979 Midget; the manual makes me think that
without checking runout, I reckon I've a 1-in-4 chance of being on the
money.  I can get the readout dial at Sears for $20, cobble up a stand or
clamps or something, but my Haynes shows no setup. Has anyone here performed
this task?  Doesn't this check have to be performed with the hub mounted on
the stub axel? I'm wondering if there isn't a lot of relative error possible
in the steering wriggling as I turn the disk. We're talking about fractions
of a millimeter, here.

The manual says if runout is too much, to reposition the disk on the hub. I
guess rotate the mounting one-hole-over? Does this mean the hubs and disks
are manufactured with runout designed-in -- or are the disks and hubs
supposed to be machined with zero runout?

Cheers,
Rick in Lutherville, MD

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/