radiator - update LONGISH

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: radiator - update LONGISH
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 08:48:04 -0400
Saturday was a testament to the we be tight club.

A couple of days ago i posted looking for a radiator for my Sprite.
I also called a couple of local friends who play w/ LBC's.  One of the guys said
"Yeah,
I've got a crossflow in my parts car but it needs to be recored, come get it."
So off I go to pick up a radiator on Saturday afternoon.  I was planning to pick
it up and drop it
at the local radiator repair shop.
I got to the radiator shop and there's a sign on the door "End of summer
vacation, back after Labor Day"

LABOR DAY??? So I go home, swear, moan and start thinking.
I looked at the 1500 rad and the 1275 that needed repair, the cores are the same
size. Hmmmm

I grabbed my torch, flux, sandpaper, LEAD FREE solder hammer and vise grips.
20 minutes later both radiators are apart and ready for serious cleaning.
I wire brushed, sanded and fluxed all the parts.
Used the hammer and vise grips to tap and crimp the joints nice and tight
Next thing you know, 1275 crossflow radiator built from pieces for the price of
a 3 oz roll of solder and a little time

I filled it w/ water, jammed rubber stoppers into the holes and pressurized it
w/ a bike pump, One leak , easily repaired.

Since it was nice and clean and paint free, I grabbed the Brasso and an old dish
towel and polished the tanks
My wife thinks I'm a  nuts, but doing this was a blast
:-)

Tommy
70B daily driver
67 Sprite - driver by Labor Day???