RE: Interesting radio install

To: "Greg Gowins" <cartman@dnai.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Interesting radio install
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:21:27 -0700 m>
Any radio with detachable face-plate you can make do exactly this. I made a
new backboard (board between passengers and trunk) with a carefully cut slot
and mouted the unit and speakers to it. The face plate mounted first in the
center console then later moved it to the back side of the sun visor. Worked
great. Load CDs through the slot behind your passenger... change
volume\tracks etc on the sun visor. Save the precious knee room and run sans
center console (so much better). A local car audio place made the cable that
goes from unit to faceplate for $40. (They made it 10 feet long!)

My next step will be a fold away touch screen LCD that slides out from under
the dash. PC will be next to battery or in the trunk... havent decided yet.
But first more important things like body work and paint.

Toby

Hello listers,

I came across a link to a place that has an interesting stereo setup.
We all know that the current radio console is quite shallow, in terms of
trying to put a CD player in.  They "fit" but not real well (ie you have
to be in reverse to change the CD).

They make a unit that "remotes" out the display, so the actual brain of
the unit and separate CD changer can be mounted up to 9 feet away.  The
display portion is only 1 1/2 inches tall, 4 1/8 inches wide, and 3/4 of
an inch deep.

Looks pretty interesting!

http://www.customautosound.com/secretaudio.htm

Greg Gowins