Benz totalled (was Re: Saftey RE: State of current British cars

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Benz totalled (was Re: Saftey RE: State of current British cars
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 10:07:16 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: woodrat@spacey.net
Sadly, a little real world experience on this thread:

I just got a call from my mother, who is widowed and
lives in Satellite Beach, Florida.  Last night she was
making a left hand turn in her 1997 Mercedes E320 when
a sales manager from the local Jaguar dealership joy
riding in an S-type came around a semi-blind curve and
t-boned her.  By her and several witnesses account the
guy was traveling upwards of 75 MPH when he hit her.
Side airbags deployed, driver airbag deployed, side
impact beam was visably deformed, but did its job.
All crumple zones crumbled, and she walked away.  The
Benz was completely mangled.  Despite the witnesses to
the speeding and the guy who hit her constantly saying
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry", the police report mentioned
that the guy was suspected of speeding but she was
cited for failing to yield.  Anyway, I'm glad she was
in a modern car with crumple zones, airbags, and
inertia reel seatbelts.  I think that stuff saved her
more than the sheer mass of the vehicle did.

Those of you who have met my Mom know what a great,
generous, classy lady she is, and I thank God and Karl
Benz she's ok.

=====
Ron Soave

"It ain't women that kill a ballplayer.  It's stayin' up all night lookin' for
'em that does."
- Casey Stengel
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/