Re: ignition system upgrades

To: mgagne@email.unc.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ignition system upgrades
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:05:48 EDT
In a message dated 8/21/01 7:01:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mgagne@email.unc.edu writes:

> I'm considering an upgrade to my ignition system (74 1/2 Midget) which
> is totally stock, not a single piece of which has been touched in 20
> years (and 10,000 miles).  My plan is to start with a Lucas Sport Coil
> and the Pertronix Electronic Ignition setup.
>
> My question is whether any of you think that any other bits aught to be
> upgraded and/or replaced just because of age or because of some other
> bottleneck that I'm not thinking about.  If you feel strongly about a

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, 10,000 miles is not very much for 20 years.  You ought to get out more,
Mike!

The plug wires are probably brittle by now.  Since you are upgrading, rather
than trying to stay with original, I would put in a set of Bosch Platinum
Plus Four plugs (order from Peter C.) and Magnecor wires (order on-line at
www.magnecor.com).  Check the dist. cap and rotor for cracks and wear, but
they should still be OK.

I'm curious why you chose the Lucas coil over the one Pertronics makes.  I
like to match manufacturers when possible.  If you have a problem, it is
easier to deal with the company.

You will be all set for the next 20 years.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport