What is normal current?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: What is normal current?
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:54:39 -0400
All,
I9m trying to determine what is normal current and what is too high.

When my 74 midget is off, the background current is ~20 mA and this goes to
near 0 when I disconnect the alternator.

When the key is on and the fuel pump is done chugging, the current reads ~6
amps.  I think that the latter number is correct, but am not absolutely
positive since I had to move dials around to get it on scale (multimeter
lead in the 10A slot and 200mA setting--if this means anything to you).
Does this seem normal to you experts out there?

Thanks again,
Mike Gagne
Chapel Hill, NC