Re: Somebody's wrong, but it ain't me

To: "Charles F. Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Somebody's wrong, but it ain't me
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:40:21 -0400
Cc: ET Piano <etpiano@excite.com>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
"Charles F. Christ" wrote:

> throw the old copper washer on a cookie sheet and bake it at 400 plus
> degrees in the oven for a while it will aneal it and you can use it over.
> let it air cool .  do not rush it with water or oil!

  Which brings me to a long unanswered question...

  If you did the above procedure with a piece of steel,
that would anneal it properly. (soften it)

  However, some sources say that for copper, you want
to do the opposite, heat it up and quench it water or
oil. (which would harden a steel washer, but the sources
say would soften a copper washer)

  ...anyone know the definitive answer?

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.