Churchkey, the final chapter

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Churchkey, the final chapter
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:17:26 -0400
Roy has come the closest so far as to the reason bottle openers are referred
to as church keys! The story that I was told when I was but a youngster was
that a church key was a very large Ward style of key. You guys are familar
with the term "skeleton" key, right? That is the most simplistic Ward style
key used in the lock industry. Anyway, someone discovered that a real church
key (read very large Ward style key) could be used to open a bottle. The
cuts in the key face would grasp the bottlecap well enough to open the
bottle...

Now, over the decades that the expression has been used, it has come to mean
both bottle and can opener. I never said that anyone was "wrong" by
referring to a can opener as a church key. I only stated that a proper
church key was a bottle opener! It's kinda like calling gelatin "Jello". The
brand name has overcome the identity of the product itself.

I just wanted to be clear. Like Ed says, WD-40 is not a penetrating oil...
The can says it is, but it doesn't say that it a very poor penetrating oil.
Same difference. We need to pass these Semantic musings down to our kids!!!

Kent
1960 Bugeye
An authentic church key and an electric can opener...