Speedi-Sleeve etc. was Re: Can't Win For Losing...

To: Mike MacLean <macleans@earthlink.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedi-Sleeve etc. was Re: Can't Win For Losing...
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 22:07:57 -0400
On Friday 24 August 2001 08:55 pm, Mike MacLean wrote:
> P.S. Still losing some oil from timing cover pulley seal so
> Speedi-Sleeve still to be done in the near future.

I have a leak in the same place (though probably not the least of my troubles
at the moment) so I'm wondering - what's a "Speedi-Sleeve"?

And here's another question. While fiddling around the engine with a stick
trying to determine if I have a knock, piston slap, or just a really loud
valve noise I took off the oil filler cap to listen to the valves a bit
better (no, I DIDN'T put the stick in there - I'm not quite that stupid!) and
the engine slowed down noticably - almost died at one point. Put the cap
back, revs picked back up. Off again, slow again. Just putting my hand over
the hole I can't feel any vacuum or pressure, but of course that isn't very
accurate. After the engine heated up a bit it seemed to stop - my wife
eventually came out side and I said "Let me show you something weird." Pulled
off the cap and nothing happened. Doh! Anyway, has anybody else ever seen
this? Any idea what's going on? Another odd thing is my cover has the vent
tube and it currently isn't connected to anything so it should be open to
atmospheric pressure always anyway - tube may be plugged though, I never
checked.

Eddie
1971 Midget