Re: i need a front mudflap for my bugeye Correction

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: i need a front mudflap for my bugeye Correction
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 00:29:44 EDT
In a message dated 8/20/01 9:27:06 PM, AHtopia@aol.com writes:

<< the sprite that i purchased last year has about 1/2" - 3/4" of tire
sticking
out of only the right side fender well: it has front disc brakes and wire
wheels, new front suspension parts and no visible body/frame damage...my
question is, do i have a problem with my wheel alignment (camber looks a
little off but is not adjustable as i understand), or is it something else,
or is it nothing? i read somewhere that when front discs were put on these
cars the track became wider due to the hubs...any serious opinions/answers
appreciated.

Doug

I hung onto your e-mail in the hope that someone more experienced than I
would get back to you.  Since that hasn't happened, thought I would try to
get some more information and maybe try again to get something going.

I do know that the wire wheels and disk brakes didn't come on the Bugeye, but
the conversion is quite common.  The conversion to disk brakes by the factory
changes the front tread from 3'9.75" to  3'10.31"

Some of the older shops can adjust camber on Sprites.  It is adjustable by
the use of  tapered and forked wedges that go between the shock and the
frame.  Toe in is easy to  adjust

Advice is, look for physical differences between the left and right side
parts.  Might as well start with the tire and pay attention to whether they
are the same size (don't laugh), and then go inward to wheels, axles, and so
on.  Something should show up that is different or asymetrical.  Even new
parts can be wrong.

It would help to know generally where you are geographically.   There must be
some trustworthy vendors and listers near you.

It would also help to know what you have for reference material.  Even if it
is just a Moss catalog, we can be sure we are  taling about the same part.

Don't Panic.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes)