Restoring Vs Value (LONG) FILETIME=[CC8E7770:01C12F5C]

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Restoring Vs Value (LONG) FILETIME=[CC8E7770:01C12F5C]
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:59:14 -0500
I have been having some private conversations regarding a rare (so I am
being told) Les Leston steering wheel that I have. I may possibly use
this thing in my 60 Bugeye, but it is dingy looking. Lots of black
sticky crap on it and has some small cracks in it.
I am being told that if I have someone re-stain the walnut finish to it
and re-clear coat it that I will be ruining the value of it. I am
curious as to the validity of that statement as it seems these wheels
were made from the 50's to the mid 60's. It seems to me that any piece
of wood in a topless sports car for all those years would need some
attention. So then these places that sell these nice looking Les
Leston's for $650 must have found a secret stash of original wheels that
were never sold or used. Because if they had been refinished, they would
be worth squat!! Unless they were professionally restored.
Then they are still worth squat, but you have to pay the professional
something..........
Which brings up my next question. When I restore my Bugeye, does this
mean it won't be worth squat because I am not a professional restoration
person. How does one get their professional certification so that the
car will have a little value when they are done. Thus, all those non ASE
certified tinker's that work for years searching out rare and odd parts
to put a car into concours condition, have a car worth a couple hundred
bucks cuz it is no longer original. It is "restored"
Any opinions or alternate observations you would be willing to share???
 Brad (I am fixing it for ME!! not to sell it anyway!!) Fornal