Re: ignition system upgrades v2

To: mgagne@unc.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ignition system upgrades v2
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:54:18 EDT
In a message dated 8/29/01 4:23:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mgagne@unc.edu
writes:

> How do I get hold of Peter C., is he on the list?

Send e-mail to Peter at nosimport@mailbag.com, or better yet call him at
World Wide Auto Parts, 800-362-1025.

> Regarding the magnecor wires, is there any noticeable difference between the
> 7 and 8 mm wires, and is the 25D distributor installed on the late 1275
> motors the push in type or the screw in type?  I recall seeing some screws
> on the underside of the contacts on the cap, though the magnecor folks say
> that the 1974 was the push on type.  Perhaps the PO put the incorrect cap on
> since there is a lot of silicone to make it seal right, I'll look more
> carefully tonight.

I don't think you will see a difference between the 7 or 8mm wires, but for
the price difference, I will be buying the 8mm.  If there is silicone sealer
in the cap, get a new one from Peter C., along with a new rotor.  He will get
the correct ones for you.  Call him and he will give you all the info you
need.  Since you know you have a 25D dizzy, it is easy.  I would think that
they should be push on wires by 1974.

Hey list, when was the end of the screw type connector dizzy cap?

> BTW, I'm never really sure whether my "1974 1/2" should be called a 1974 or
> a 1975.  Can anybody tell me what the 1/2 means?  The tag on the inside of

The 1974 1/2 should have full rubber bumpers, I think.  The earlier 1974 had
rubber overriders on a chrome bumper.  I have a 1977, so I would have to look
it up.  The list will set this straight.  Never fear.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport