Re: Lift on eBay

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lift on eBay
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 01:30:36 -0400
Robert Duquette wrote:
> >Why would anyone want to pay $4,000 for a used one, when you can get a
> >brand
> >new one, delivered to your door, for around $3,000 from any of the usual
> >suspects in Hemmings!!?

  ... I suspect the $4000 used one was a commercial lift, and
the $3000 Hemmings ones are hobby lifts.

  I have a lift, but mine is kind of a hybrid. It's a hobby-sized
lift but it's made as a commercial lift.

  You probably don't want a real commercial lift, they are
too huge. It will take BOTH bays of a typical suburban double
garage, and most of the depth too. Considering one of the
cool features of a lift is parking two cars on top of each
other, it defeats some of the purpose.

  My lift is basically the width of a home garage bay, and
about 16 feet long outside. (the car can overhang, only the
wheels have to fit in there)

  All my cars fit on my lift. I had to build a safety
rail and weld it on though, since the Midget wheelbase
is JUST wide enough to use the lift, and if I got it
wrong by a tire width I'd fall in!

  Otherwise, commercial lifts are excellent. If you
get a chance to compare one to something like a Backyard
Buddy, the differences are obvious and many. Although the
hobby lists require a lot less installation, some don't
even bolt to the floor you just assemble them and plug
them in.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca