Re: 7 or 8mm wires?

To: cfchrist@earthlink.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 7 or 8mm wires?
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:58:50 EDT
In a message dated 8/29/01 5:11:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cfchrist@earthlink.net writes:

> hey?  if i recall correctly 8mm wires do not fit a lucas side entry type
> cap.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I believe you are correct.  Magnecor makes 7mm and 8mm wires, and also 8.5mm
and 10mm wires for hi-energy racing engines.  I don't have an old Lucas cap
to try it.  Magnecor wires are sold in pre-made sets and also are available
in bulk so you can make your own.

I use the 8.5mm wires in my Mitsubishi.  Here is what Magnecor says about the
different types:

"MAGNECOR KV85 (8.5mm) AND R-100 (10mm) RACE WIRES ARE UNIQUE TO MAGNECOR,
AND ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT TO ALL OTHER IGNITION WIRES. MAGNECOR RACE WIRES
ARE PRIMARILY DESIGNED AND CONSTRUCTED FOR USE ON RACING VEHICLES THAT USE
HIGH-OUTPUT IGNITIONS AND REQUIRE EMI SUPPRESSION, BUT THEY CAN ALSO BE USED
TO IMPROVE IGNITION SYSTEMS ON PRODUCTION ENGINES WITH EXHAUST EMISSION
CONTROLS.

Therefore, if you are pricing a wire set in the performance aftermarket for a
vehicle that does not need the EMI suppression, current carrying capacity and
heat resistance of Magnecor Race Wires, Magnecor can also offer you a full
and comprehensive line of Magnecor High Performance Ignition Cables (7mm and
8mm) designed for carburetor, mechanical and early electronic fuel injected
engines. Magnecor's 7mm and 8mm wires are conventional in construction and
provide RFI suppression similar to the best offered by Magnecor's competitors
in the performance aftermarket. In addition, they feature a far superior heat
resistant jacket to any of those offered by Magnecor's competitors. The price
of Magnecor's 7mm and 8mm wires is comparable to the products our competitors
sell through speed shops and mass-merchandisers."

No financial interest on my part, just a satisfied customer.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport