Those bearings...

To: "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f7VNDfT15898
Subject: Those bearings...
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 19:18:37 -0400
I started pulling rod bearing caps this evening to see what was amiss.
Started with number two, and there was a small groove around the
bearing.  Nothing seeming too bad.  So I pulled number three, and this
time the bearings were carved from the sides inward, with the little
bevel basically carved away, or bent backwards.  Upon feeling around the
crank, I found what appeared to be bearing metal fused to the crank in a
couple of lumps (hopefully it wasn't crank metal).  Not pretty.  Anyway,
looks like this engine will have to be pulled so the crank can be
machined.  Nothing's simple, eh?  Still haven't figured out what that
mystery metal from the oilpan is, but it doesn't matter now.

I took a couple of pics for fun, one of the grooved bearings, and the
royally hosed bearing:
http://www.midgetweb.com/bearings.asp

Adrian
'75 Midget coming together