Re: Oil pump replacement, now timing chain replacement

To: adrian@workgroup.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil pump replacement, now timing chain replacement
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:39:10 EDT
In a message dated 9/11/01 8:31:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
adrian@workgroup.net writes:

<< I suggest going ahead and replacing the timing chain.  They are only
 $10-$20, and unlike the oil pump (which costs $80), are a PITA to
 replace with the engine in the car.  With the oil pump, I'd just have to
 drop the oil pan later, which is no big deal.

Adrian

I don't have the Vicky Brits catalog in front of me, but I think the oil pump
was $40. You have really got me thinking about how one could remove the oil
pump with the engine in the car on a 1275. Maybe this would work with tappet
covers on a 948, etc.  But wouldn't still have to pull the front pulley to
get the timing cover off?
 The second point is that once you realize you need to replace the oil pump,
I think you are going to need a total rebuild anyway.

Now that I am going to replace the timing chain and maybe sprockets, what is
the list's thoughts on stock, Kent, or the pricey timing belt conversion that
Mini Mania sells?

I am clueless to weather or not I will be able to detect if the sprockets are
going to need replacing. Is there some guru out there that I can send these
to with return postage? Frank C where are you now that I need you?

David Oliner
60 Bugeye
67 TR 4A