Tires

To: pythias@pacifier.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Tires
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:22:47 -0500
I used to run BFG T/A R-1 DOT race tires with Minotour mini-lite-type alloys
(like Vicky and Moss sell) on my '68 Midget until they were no longer
available.  They fit inside the fenders with minimal rolling under of the
wheel arch lip, and this was invisible from the outside, .  Size was
175-70-13.  I then went to the previously mentioned Hoosier Street TD DOT
race tire, which is, in fact, a bias ply tire.  BUT:  it fouled the rear
spring (remember the rear axel on Spridgets moves quite a bit side to side
under vigorous cornering).  So I got a couple of 1/2-inch spacers...and then
needed longer studs...then different lug nuts...then the whole mess wouldn't
fit and I had to dolly out the rear fenders around the square arch.  It
doesn't look as steroidal as flares but it doesn't look stock and I
certainly would not recommedn it to anyone with a pristine car.  Finally, I
recently bought a set of 175-70-13 Yokohama Avids to use as rain tires on
stock Rostyle rims.  They look good; cost low, feel nice on the street, and
fit fine.

John Deikis
"Works Midget Racer"
(sometimes it works; sometimes it don't)