Re: ball joint splitting?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ball joint splitting?
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 22:47:48 +0100
Jeff,
The method I use is to slacken the nylock nut, position a jack under
the ball joint pin and wind it up a bit to exert some pressure on it.
Then come the bit with the 2 hammers.  You simultaneously hit
diametrically opposite sides of the track rod arm where the ball joint
pin goes through. The idea is that the impact causes the taper to
compress, and then bounce back, releasing the interference fit on the
pin.
(hey! now I know why Daniel didn't attempt to describe that !)

It does work!
Guy

> Jeff,
There is a 'technique' that involves the use of 2 hammers but other