tie rod damage?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: tie rod damage?
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 17:40:23 -0400
Thanks for the notes on separating the tie rod end from the steering
arm. I just got back from Pep Boys with the correct sized splitter
and it worked fine. However, as I was lowering the outer a-arm (using
a floor jack under it and after I'd pulled the bolt from the upper
arm), the tie rod threads caught on the steering arm hole and for a
minute the tie rod was taking the full tension force of the spring.
Could this have damaged the tie rod inner ball? How can I test for
damage or wear there?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
<http://www.molvis.org/molvis>
<mailto: jboatri@emory.edu>