Re: car show pics: now mirrors

To: SDOliner@aol.com, patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: car show pics: now mirrors
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:23:35 EDT
In a message dated 9/19/01 12:37:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
SDOliner@aol.com writes:

> What is the deal with these, were they dealer or factory installed, or
> strictly aftermarket? They sure look like they belong.
> I haven't been to many car shows, so other than my own bugeye, I have to
> rely
> on my memory of bugeyes of days past. I was concerned that the mirrors
> would

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wing mirrors were a popular, period accessory back in the '60s.  I installed
them on my '67 TR4A IRS when I bought it in 1969.  I now have them on my '77
Midget.  The popular ones were the chrome bullet mirrors, but the more
expensive Radyot (sp?) brushed aluminum mirrors were used by the rich race
car drivers.  Both are still available from the usual suspects.  I never
liked the flat mirrors like Patricia's (sorry Trish) but they are probably
more correct for earlier cars.

I tried to use a door mirror on my Midget but it was nearly impossible.  The
wing mirrors allow you to see without turning your head all the way 'round.
(Ever see The Exorcist?  That's how it feels to use a door mirror.)

The problems are; 1. There are two sizes of bullet mirrors.  The small ones
look good but its hard to see very much.  2. The larger mirrors don't look
very good, but probably work better.  3. They require two people to adjust.
You simply can't reach them from the driver's seat.  Once adjusted, you
tighten the screw and they don't move easily.

I have the small ones, and I like them.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget