Shoo Fly Pie Re: trisha's pics

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, cfchrist@earthlink.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Shoo Fly Pie Re: trisha's pics
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:28:18 -0400
On Wednesday 19 September 2001 10:23 am, Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:
> Hey chuck, most of the country has no idea what a shoo fly pie is!!!  (PA
> Dutch dessert treat!)  Now that you brought it up, you have to share!!!
> I'll be right up.

My mom took a notion to try and make a couple of these this summer. She'd
never done it before. Now, I love my mom dearly, but she isn't much of a cook
- she lacks the patience to fuss over things as she should and she admits it.
I found her rendition of "Shoo Fly Pie" to be, well, not exactly inedible but
not particularly appealing either. I think I should like these things though
since they contain stuff I really like (brown sugar and molasses - yum!)
Maybe I'll try making one myself. Although lately I've been on a "Brown Sugar
Pie" kick - made four in a week. Kind of tastes like a Pecan Pie without the
pecans. ;-)

For the curious, here's a recipe I just found on http://www.recipies.com.
Haven't tried it, don't know if it's a good one or not.
recipe for shoo fly pie

1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. hot water
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. Light Molasses
1/2 t. Baking Soda

Combine flour and sugar.  Cut in butter wiht pastry blender or 2 knives unitl
mixture is crumbly.  Set aside.  Mix together molasses, water, and baking
soda.  Divide batter evenly into two 8-inchpastries lined pie tins.  Top each
with 1/2 crumbs.  Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350
degrees.  Bake additional 20 minutes longer.

Enjoy!

Eddie
1971 MIdget