Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating problem - Judson application!

To: PilotRob@webtv.net (Robert E. Shlafer), macleans@earthlink.net (Mike MacLean)
Subject: Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating problem - Judson application!
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:07:49 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, judson@autox.team.net
Blowerboys -

Putting 1 inch spacers between the bonnet and the hinges provides a lot of
exit air flow and doesn't require 'hacking' the bodywork.  Sprigets work
fine, bugeyes need care with this (latchwise).

Clay L.
'67 Sprite

At 08:05 PM 9/25/01 -0400, Robert E. Shlafer wrote:
>Michael: (sharing this for benefit of other
>listers who may be "Judson inclined"!)
>
>Good move checking out the oil pressure
>gauge; smart! (But, "stabilizer" still in oil?)
>
>Mike, Sprites were never intended for
>American running conditions, even as they
>were back in '58, and were definitely not
>designed to run in hot climates; there is
>a reason for the "later" four-bladed metal
>fan. And on later models, the multi-bladed
>plastic "tropical" unit; and you have an
>"improved" radiator, yet!
>
>In my original Judson blower application
>(stock 1275 Sprite, with later stock crossflow radiator) it became
>obvious to
>me in short order that:
>
>1) a thermostadt "blanking sleeve" was
>necessary at anything over 70F outside
>ambient temperatures at normal "off boost" highway cruise speeds and
>above
>even with the Datsun 5 speed which, combined with a 3.7 diff. allowed
>60-65
>at 3,000rpm, and,
>
>2) an aluminum radiator was definitely
>the way to go (with mechanical "tropical"
>fan or "strong" electric, "shrouded puller".)
>
>I am assuming your "improved" downflow
>would be at least as good as a stock crossflow. (other listers, on
>this?)
>
>Now, Dean Hedin's tests (his water injection project?) proved that even
>in the "off boost" highway conditions
>you describe (in even cooler outside air temps than you experienced) the
>blower
>case ran 160F due to "compression heating" of the incoming mixture;
>imagine
>this as an "additional" source of heat under the bonnet!
>(especially without a cool air intake for the
>induction system and no "vents" in the
>stock bonnet/body.)
>
>As an experiment (Arnold Herrmann already confirmed this but, what the
>hell,
>there is nothing like seeing it for yourself!)
>may I respectfully suggest you run the car
>under the same conditions without the
>"compression" effect of the blower (remove the belt) and see what sort
>of
>running temps. you experience?
>
>Then, being the obviously astute, bright
>guy you are (in my experience) you will
>make decisions, accordingly. (into which,
>I have the feeling, my 45DCOE on it's
>way to you, will probably figure!)
>
>Running the blower is a challenge in warm weather; even more so in
>really
>hot weather, for sure.  I have not made
>the "body" modifications to my Bugeye
>for no reason; I would much rather I could
>have kept this part of it stock, for sure.
>
>But, it gets to 90F, usually many summer
>days in my locale here in the Northeast
>(not so bad this particular summer) and
>I use my car as a daily driver so, compromises had to be made unless I
>chose not to run the blower. You may
>choose differently and go back to normally
>aspirated (albeit 1275+ type of "tune"); a
> [...]

DISCLAIMER: JPL now requires notice in all electronic communication that
all personal and professional opinions presented herein are my own and do
not, in any way, represent the opinion or policy of JPL.