Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating problem Sep 2001 14:53:20 -0700

To: macleans@earthlink.net (Mike MacLean)
Subject: Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating problem Sep 2001 14:53:20 -0700
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:50:56 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Ankitterer@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Annice-

Hmmm! Did your Frog have the 5 ring
pistons, I wonder?

Cap'n. Bob
    '61 :{)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:53:20 -0700
From Mike MacLean <macleans at earthlink.net>
To: Ankitterer@aol.com
Cc: PilotRob@webtv.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating problem

Annice, Bob,
     I envy your performance with your Judson in hot weather.  My problem is
different.  If I keep moving "in town" I'm O.K. water temp wise.  It is when I
am
on the freeway at extended high speeds that the temp continues to rise until it
reaches the 212F mark and I have to pull off and let it cool down for 15 minutes
or so to continue on.  I am obviously generating a lot of heat under the bonnet
that is not being carried away with air flow through the engine compartment or
the radiator fast enough.  This may be a combination of two things; the
supercharger itself radiating heat under the bonnet and the fact that the
pistons
that were replaced during the rebuild have an extra oil scraper below the wrist
pin causing added friction in the cylinder walls.  This is just too much for the
radiator to cope with during high ambient temperatures.  This will probably not
be solved during summer months until the pistons are changed to the correct 3
ring type plus more air is allowed to flow from the engine compartment.
Mike MacLean Supercharged 60 Sprite