RE: Windshield rubber wrong.

To: "Adrian Barnes" <adrian@workgroup.net>, <DLancer7676@cs.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Windshield rubber wrong.
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:16:17 -0700
Adrian -

Have you heard if anyone has looked in the Steele Rubber Catalog?  They
advertise in Hemmings and the catalog has about a thousand rubber strip
forms with cross-sectional illustrations and dimensions.  They even carry
shapes for some vintage cars.

Clay L.
'67 Sprite

At 09:09 AM 9/29/01 -0400, Adrian Barnes wrote:
>David:
>
>I seem to be the only one on the list to notice or encounter this, but
>the side post seals (Victoria British Catalog SM.37, Page 58, item
>9-9326, or #4 in the '65-'79 diagram) do not fit the channel they are
>supposed to go in.  VB told me they get their seals from a different
>supplier than Moss, but the seals from both companies are identical.  On
>the original seal, the bit of rubber that extends from the seal and goes
>in the channel is shaped like a T edgewise (the top part of the T goes
>in the channel, the bottom is attached to the seal).  The new ones I got
>are more like a flattened V and cause a problem similar to putting a
>square peg in a round hole, and cutting doesn't seem to help.
>
>Our mutual friend, Buddy, acknowledges this to be a problem and wonders
>why nobody has complained to the companies to correct the seals, or if
>they just ignore the complaints.  He thinks I might be able to order MGB
>seals, although they are shorter, he has used them before for a Midget.
>I dropped it off at MG-GM Classics because Barry seemed interested in
>giving it a shot.  He immediately recognized the problems with the seals
>too.  I'll let you know if he figures anything out.
>
>As for the rest of the seals, I had an auto glass shop replace them, and
>everything else fit properly, but it was a difficult task even for them
>(it involved disassembling the entire windshield). They cleaned the
>glass and the frame up really well, so it almost looks like a new
>windshield, which is nice.
>
>Next time around, since I've heard so many bad things about the fit of
>these new seals (the way the doors shut, etc), I wouldn't replace them
>again.
>
>Adrian
>http://www.midgetweb.com

DISCLAIMER: JPL now requires notice in all electronic communication that
all personal and professional opinions presented herein are my own and do
not, in any way, represent the opinion or policy of JPL.