Sputtering sprite - Questions and update

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Sputtering sprite - Questions and update
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 08:58:24 -0400
Ok - first the question before I lose anyone's interest
How do you unclog the fuel pickup line in the tank?
Do I use Frank's tank on the Barbie method?
How long and how do I get it dry afterward?

now the update and how I came up with the questions
Last night I did a major tune up. points, plugs, condensor, cap, rotor and wires
The good news is # 3 doesn't misfire anymore and the smoke and fuel smell is
gone form the exhaust
I set the timing and it idle well down to 650 -700 RPM

Went for a test drive and about 1/2 mile from the house, sputter - cough - die
I coasted to a stop, popped the bonnet and removed the float chamber covers
Front carb had about 1/2 inch of fuel, back carb was EMPTY!
So I put the covers back on and turned on the switch for a few minutes
Started the car and limped home

disconnected the fuel line frm the carbs and pump and blew thru it - no blockage
turned on the switch to check the pump output - VERY SMALL DRIBBLE
pulled the pump and bench tested it -FUEL GUSHES
crawled under the car and tried to blow thru the pump inlet hose to the tank -
PLUGGED
disconnected the inlet line from the tank and blow thru it - no blockage and
fuel JUST DRIBBLES out of the port

So I drained the tank - should have done that earlier in the process
dropped the tank and removed the gage sending unit
You wouldn't believe the amount of varnish inside that tank  - UGHHH

Tommy
70B daily driver
67 Sputtering Sprite