Problems with a New Bugeye

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Problems with a New Bugeye
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 22:17:29 EDT
I am new to the Spridget list, but have a Big Healey and a Jaguar MK2.

I recently bought my wife a totally restored 59 Sprite.  On our maiden
voyage, the car died.  We were driving at night and I notice that we "lost"
the rear tail lights first.  The brake lights and directional signals worked
fine.  Then as we stopped for gas there was smoke coming from under the dash.
 The car started fine and we started home and she died after about 2 miles.
We had plenty of battery, but the starter would not turn fast enough to try
and start.   We towed the car home and when I checked under the dash the
double red wires going to the combination ignition/light switch was melted.
The wiring harness was new with a 1998 restoration.  I did notice earlier,
that when I turned off the lights, the ignition would stop.

Any ideas?  Do you think that the combination ignition/light switch sorted on
and needs to be replaced, which caused  the wiring to melt?  Any suggestions
and advise would be appreciated.  Thanks,  Cheers,  Pete Sturtevant

Pete Sturtevant  -  Massachusetts,  USA
1957 Austin Healey 100-6 BN4                1966 Mustang GT
1964 Jaguar MK2 3.4                              1966 Mustang Convertible

1959 AH Frogeye Sprite (Cindy's)

HealeyBN4@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/healeybn4/   <A
HREF="http://members.aol.com/healeybn4/";>My Webpage</A>