Re: 1976 MG Midget

To: <gmerry1@airmail.net>, "JustBrits" <justbrits@home.com>, "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: Re: 1976 MG Midget
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:08:00 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
I am writing to you three guys because, as you know I am on a fixed income,
trying to restore my MG Midget, and have to get the best prices I can.  In no
way do I want to start a competition of any kind.  That is certainly not my
intent.  Who gets my order will never be revealed by me.

I sat down yesterday afternoon for hours and went thru the Moss catalog with
the two guys that are restoring my car.  This is the list they came up with
that they need right away.  I have listed page number and parts number so you
can look it up.

The first thing on the list was the scariest to me.

Page 134        BATTERY #459-480           $149.95
    (they told me this was the BEST but perhaps there
    would be a cheaper model somewhere) ???

Page 68, #54   SEAL, filter head to block
                            #520-400                           .95 (not
                                                            a problem)

Page 68, #85    Mount, engine  #810-120       17.95 each
                            (I will need TWO of these)

Page 68, #86    Mount, transmission               5.10 each
                            (I will need TWO of these also)

Page 73, #51    HOSE, thermo, hsg to radiator  $5.95
Page 73, #52    HOSE, radiator to pump             6.95
Page 73, #53    HOSE, radiator to pump             6.95
Page 73, #54    HOSE, L/H, to thermo hsg.        6.95
                (they told me that my two hoses look like
                #53 and #54, but #51 and #52 are the ones
                they think should be on there, so I should
                order all 4 and ask if I could return the two
                I don't use)

Page 75, #45    HOSE, demister                        5.95
                    (All preformed heater hoses)  (They
                    said this is the right thing (pictured)
                    but they need "preformed hoses" -
                    whatever that means)

ALSO SCARY, but I know I can get a rebuilt one
cheaper
Page 96, #36      MASTER CYLINDER         $169.95

Page 97, #61;#180-396  WHEEL CYLINDER,
                    rear, aftermarket                        10.95
                        (NEED TWO OF THESE)

Page 97, #66     Boot                                      5.95
    ""        #68    Clirclip                                     .75
              #69    Spring, abutmend end              1.95
              #70     Spring R/H                             3.95
              #71     Spring L/H                              3.95
              #72      HOSE,rear brake                $13.95
              #73      Washer                                   .30

Page 98, #2         HOSE, front disc brake        16.95
    "         #12       SHIM, anti-squeal                  1.95
              #16        Seal                                      .90
              #17        TAB WASHER                       .95

They told me there would be more things later, but these are the things they
need right now.

If any of you can give me a better deal, please just type in your prices
beside Moss's - I will be eternally grateful for any help I can get.  The less
than $1.00 things I am certainly not concerned about, but would really like to
order everything from someone - all at one time instead of ordering here and
there.  I would send you a check before you send any
parts.

Again, this is in no way a competition and I would never reveal who gave me
the best prices.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sincerely,

Beverly Cleary