Re: Distibutor timing

To: "Mike MacLean" <macleans@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Distibutor timing
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 13:54:10 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
There are three ways to speed time, first you get a timing light with a
advance knob, set the dial at 35deg and then run the car at 4000rpm and line
up the marks. This puts both the mechanical and vacuum advances at full
advance and you set the timing at this point. Much more important than idle.
The second method is to use a protractor to mark the pulley at 0 and 35deg
BTDC run the engine at 4000rpm and line up the marks using a dynamic light
without a advance knob. The third method is to take it to somebody that can
do it for you.
    In any case once this is done hook up your static light and check the
TDC marks when the light just comes on. Remember where the marks are at this
point and you can R&R the distributor line up these marks and static time
your engine.  This will give you the same setting that you speed timed.
    OK this all said nothing will work unless you have a true TDC mark.
Remove all spark plugs and turn over the engine until the number 2 valve
opens, continue turning over the engine until the #1 piston is all the way
up (use a flashlight and look through the spark plug hole), this is where
you make your marks. This is best done using a dial indicator with the head
off, but it is a little late for that.
        Crash

> Crash,
>     The only timing I have ever done on the engine is static.  I timed it
using
> the static method for initial start-up by using the procedure in the
Haynes
> manual.
  I don't understand what you mean by:  "Once you get this done