Re: [midgetsprite] Ford 4 Cylinders

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Ford 4 Cylinders
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 19:26:21 EST
In a message dated 10/29/2001 5:13:37 PM Mountain Standard Time,
toyman@digitex.net writes:

> I know that many of the Ford Pinto motors were used for racing in
> British cars. Mike picked up a 2.3 litre block to cogitate on the sizing
> and fitment of the mill. It is quite large, i.e. tall, and I was curious
> if anyone had any photos of a 2.3, 2.0 or 1.6 in a Spridget. We will not
> use the Pinto gas tank!!! Thanks for any help you can offer, Brad

If memory serves...and more often than not these days it fails me...the 1.6
was the same or similar as the engine used in the Cortina.  Lotus tuned one
model of these, so there were at one time "hop up" parts available.  Seems
like Cosworth made a head too?  Formula Ford stuff?

I seem to remember an old Car and Driver...or was it R&T that had the tech
column, and they recomended the Cortina transplant as it gave oodles of more
torque and made for quite a nice driver.

Robert Houston
Santa Teresa, NM
'74 Midget
63 TR4
..
  "If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and
   saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the
   infant's life without even considering if there are men on
   base." - Dave Barry