Interesting Visit to PPG

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Interesting Visit to PPG
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 17:10:42 -0600
Today I had a chance to visit a PPG paint school that has moved in next door
to my office.  Actually I was talking to one of the instructors outside and
was telling him about my old Healey and I was invited in to see what was in
their paint matching computer.  I told him that I didn't expect to find my
color, Coronet Cream.  However, to my surprise, they had the formula.  First
he punched in the Manufacturer which was listed as " Austin Rover Group",
ARG, and then the year, 1954.  What popped up was all of the color codes
used in that year and sure enough Coronet Cream was there.  I then got a
short recommendation of the different types of paints available and the
hardener and thinner recommended for each.  Since all I really wanted was to
get a can of paint to touch up the chassis and fender wells they recommended
Concept DCC Acrylic Urethane and DCX 9 Hardener.

I am reporting this to the groups  because I see requests all of the time
for paint codes, and sources of supply.  I was amazed to find that it was
really easy if you go to a first class supplier.  Their recommendations were
very good and easy to understand by a novice, me.  They also explained the
safety requirements and hazards of their materials and what filters and
other ventilation requirements should be used.  All of this took about 15
minutes.  They even said that if I had a car that needed painted they might
be able to do it as a class project.  I will have to find another car so I
can try them out!!

Mark
Nashville
BN1