the verdict..

To: "'team-thicko@autox.team.net'" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: the verdict..
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:07:29 -0500
Just to pass on some experience.
 i had recently aquired a few sticks of the magical "A-LUM-ITE" aluminum solder
(beer can at the fair welding) stuff. Since i had gotten mixed replies from you
guys, i though i would just go ahead and try it myself..
My verdict is, it works pretty damn well!
i dont think that it could replace a good TIG weld. But it is reasonably
strong. it does make a decent joint. it isnt as neat as a TIG weld, nor as
precise.
but i will be using it again. it machines(read grinds) fairly decent. i used my
oxy/acet, on the pieces, cleaned it and did my best per directions, it took a
9" stick to get the hang of it. but i tried a butt joint, lap joint, and tried
2 significantly diffrent thickness pieces. all with reasonably good results. of
course, being a open flame/heat method, warpage was a factor. I think it could
fix a bad shroud, but not build one. i will be keeping a few in my toolbox.
so..now off to learn to TIG..
R Kansa/RCCSA