took it for a drive

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: took it for a drive
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:16:25 -0500
Hey List,

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Well I took the '74 for its first drive in 16 years. Wow. What a feeling.

Brakes worked fine, 5-speed shifted nicely but the downdraft Weber sucks. Okay,
carbs suck
by design but you get my drift. Also need the entire front end installed and an
interior
and seats and repainted but who cares.

I have been having trouble with it since I got the car started awhile ago. It
fouls the
plugs almost immediately and very thoroughly and smokes pretty badly. It also
stumbles
very, very badly when accelerating from throttle closed. Idles okay. It starts
running
okay about 2500 rpms. Didn't go over about 4000. Runs okay at 3000 rpms almost
purrs if
you can call it that, it doesn't have any of the exhaust on yet. neighbors, what
neighbors? Haven't set the timing except by ear but nothing seemed to make it
run any
better. I set the idle mixture so low that is just barely idles. Frank
suggested setting
the fuel pressure lower (1 3/4 lbs) and that seemed to help but it still runs
like sh*t.
Would some different jets help? But it runs and I drove it. Damn, I drove
it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember past threads that talked of problems with the Weber but I don't
remember what
if anything was the solution to the crappy running except dumping them for the
original
SUs??? Can anybody shed some light on this? I do have someone helping me
rebuild a set of
SUs so in the future the Weber won't be a problem but I would like to get it
sorted out.
Anybody want to buy a slightly used Weber?

I also noticed a pretty serious oil leak at the back of the motor. I had the
motor rebuilt
last year so I was hopeful that I wouldn't have the self-rustproofing model but
alas. How
much trouble iis it to fix this little problem? I wish I had gone ahead and
done the deed
when I was putting on the tranny this summer but "hey its a new motor it won't
leak" There
is also a smaller leak at the front of the motor.

Anybody have an extra driver's side front fender? I will trade two rather
crappy passenger
side fenders or pay a reasonable price plus shipping for one in good shape.

Don't eat too much turkey or scrapple ya'll.

andrew