Re: Air Compressor Decision.....

To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Graziano, Michael" <michael.graziano@csfb.com>
Subject: Re: Air Compressor Decision.....
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:53:51 -0500
SCFM (Standard Cubic Feet per Minute - Standard meaning Sea Level, 70 deg F)
only means something coupled with a specified pressure. If a compressor is
rated at 10 SCFM free air (that's 0 pressure), you might only get 6 SCFM at
100 psi, and the tool you want to run requires 8 SCFM at 90 psi. On the
other hand, if your hose is big enough you could probably run a tool
requiring 20 SCFM for a minute or two, depending how big your tank is.

Having enough PSI is rarely a problem, though having a higher PSI gives you
more actual air in your tank so you will take longer to run out. IMHO there
is no call for a two stage compressor in your situation. Primarily what that
does is give a much larger capacity by increasing air pressure to a very
high level, giving a garage with 4 people working in it the ability to all
use their impact wrenches/grinders/spray guns all at the same time for a few
minutes, at which point one or two stop and the compressor catches up. It
essentially increases the effective size of the tank. The rare exception
would be a tool/job that requires very high pressure. However, very few
tools need or can use more than around 90 to 100 PSI, and in fact you should
have a regulator to control that.

I would recommend getting (if you can afford it - oh yeah, Credit Suisse -
never mind <g>) a compressor with 10-20% more capacity than the largest air
hog you anticipate running on a continuous basis, and with a fairly large
tank.

And yes, an "oily" one. First of all, a regular oiled compressor does not
put any oil into the air unless or until it's wearing out. Secondly, most
air tools require oil for longevity and top performance, with the obvious
exception of Spray Guns and Sand Blasters. A commonly recommended procedure
is to put an oiler at the compressor to oil all your tools, and bypass it
and use a separate hose with an oil/water filter on it when painting or
blasting.

HTH,

<dnw>
1972 Midget