Re: Looking at a MGB project Dec 2001 17:55:38 -0600

To: kpdii@softhome.net (Patton Dickson)
Subject: Re: Looking at a MGB project Dec 2001 17:55:38 -0600
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 06:29:19 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Hey!

Anyone who owns/drives a Corvair Monza
is cool, size notwithstanding!

Patton, '67 is the best year of the bunch
(IMO, Kent Miller is definitely "right on" in
this respect) as engine was upgraded to
stiffer 5 main bearing crank producing more torque/hp than all others.
Remember, in '68 we went "air pollution"
and power suffered accordingly.

Simple PCV valve arrangement not only aided "reburning" of hydrocarbons,
but
evacuated crankcase pressure making
life easier on the engine while reducing
pressure on rings (oil burning) and precluding normal LBC external oil
leaks.
to extent reasonably possible.

Be forwarned the rubber diaphragm in
PCV probably has probably become
porous from simply sitting and a porous
diaphragm will allow for a lot of blue smoke out the exhaust.

It may be the engine but it is just as likely
the diaphragm in the PCV valve requires
replacement, in the event.

There is also an "idle check" for this as well, as I recall. If the PCV
valve is OK,
idle will rise about 100 rpm when you
remove the oil cap in the valve cover.

Rust in all the normal places you'd find
in/on a Spridget is all you are looking for.

Rust in rocker area can be expected just
like Spridgets. Condition of the inner sills
in what is important and internal floor as well, especially in the area
where one finds the rear spring hangers; vitally important area this,
for obvious reasons.

Get plastic boxes or liners for batteries;
well worth this minor investment; BTDT.

All I see from your pictures is the expected surface rust one would
expect.

As long as there is no collision damage to
front end, etc., looks like you picked the
best of the best. Even if the engine requires rebuilding, it's the best
of the best also. Well worth doing, IMHO.

Incidentally, these engines respond very
well to simple slight tuning. Up the compression just a bit by shaving
the head to give you not more than 9.5-1
add a header and "free flow" exhaust
and the engine becomes noticeably
"peppier" by far. Going to 1&3/4 carbs.
after the foregoing minor mods also helps
by 5hp or so, but now we are getting into
some bucks; really not necessary unless
the 1&1/2's are simply clapped out and need replacement.

Good luck with project. You'll love driving
this car. I did, for many years before getting back into Frogeyes 'cause
I like
the "go kart" with "character".

Most wives are like this; seems to come
with the territory, so to speak. No big deal; handle it! :>)

Cap'n. Bob
    '61 :{)