I wouldn't have thought of that

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: I wouldn't have thought of that
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 13:14:53 EST
While removing the engine/trans from my 75 midget I noticed the obligatory
engineering curiosities (bolting the driveshaft at front AND rear, I wouldn't
have thought of that) but two extra special ones:

1)  on the passenger side (US) there is a angled plate running from two bolts
of the lever shock to the "frame" section of the inner fender area.  On the
driver's side there is none, and judging by the lack of holes in the area
never has been one.  What's it for?  Why not on the other side?  does it
create some rigidity or advantage that could be enhanced by putting one on
the other side?

2)  what's with the cable leading from the center floor behind the trans to a
bell housing bolt?  tell me this thing isn't what keeps the car from bending
or something.  Can it be tightened and made to play musical notes when I
shift?

Fascinated by my MG,

Mark