Re: Handling, TR vs. Spridgets EST

To: TMHEFFRON@aol.com
Subject: Re: Handling, TR vs. Spridgets EST
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:35:29 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
TuTone:

"Tossable" is the right word for the Spridget; = fun factor.

Commuting between my home in Stamford while based in LGA, high speed
stability became an issue to be resoloved.

A 3/4 front bar along with a 5/8 rear bar
solved this problem, along with 5.5 wheels on 60 series Yokos. Running
equal tire pressures all around with maybe a pound more in the front
returned
the "tossable" factor. Car was also lowered 1" all around and had VB
ralleye
front coils, GasAdjust tubes.

This combo "worked" right up to 6K with
a 3.7 diff. in my Vizardized '74 RWA Midget (my younger days!!) Stuck
like
glue (In the "dry"!) and fast turn in.

Today's Frog is not lowered, and has
70 series on the same wheels with stock
springs all around, a 3/4 front bar and
Panhard rod, tube shocks (K2r's) and equal tire pressures all around.

Not quite as "sticky" at high speeds
but excellent stability to 80 (my "limit" today "out there"). Excellent
"tossability"
retained. Much, much better ride and
exhaust system doesn't get "bent". Rapid
turn in retained. Better "predictability"
"stability" and "turn in" in the wet; "safer".

Love these cars!!  But I agree with you
on the "naturally" better high speed stability of the MGB. I still
"watch" the
Sprite at speed; never "felt" this way with
the stock "B". Wheelbase.

Cap'n. Bob
    '61 :{)