90 wt oil in steering box

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 90 wt oil in steering box
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:53:18 EST
I have used two methods in the past to lube the steering rack. One is to
purchase an oiling gun at an outboard motoring boat shop. The cartridge looks
like a tube of toothpaste which is screwed on to the gun.This is to lubricate
the lower gears, I guess. The stuff I got was a synthetic blend which I did
not know much about, so I squeezed it all out and put in the 90 wt hypoid
oil. The other way I have done it is to modify the grease zerk fitting. At
the end of it is a small ball. If you put a small drill in where the ball is
and then drill it out,the ball and a spring will pop out.Now enlarge the hole
a little. Take a pump type oiling can and slip a rubber tube over it.Now slip
this tube over the zerk fitting and pump away! You now have to close or cover
the hole, of course. A short piece of tubing stopped up with a little sealer
on one end has worked for me. OR, get fancy and hit a hardware store.They
actually sell little caps which will fit over the zerk. When one builds a
metal work bench with bolts and nuts, you need to cover over the bolt ends so
you do not get hurt if you bump into them. These are the caps you need.  Hope
this helps someone,-----------Bob C in Kansas