Re: Dot 4 on Dot 3

To: toyman@digitex.net, spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Dot 4 on Dot 3
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:53:03 EST
In a message dated 1/28/02 9:05:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
toyman@digitex.net writes:

> I took the nasty Dot 3 out of the reservoir of the Buick I bought and
> since all I had was Dot 4 I put it in to refill it. I have not yet bled
> the lines of Dot 3. I was told by someone today that mixing the two
> types will cause them to turn into a powder. Sounds pretty far fetched
> to me. What genuine pitfalls can I expect from what I have just done??

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Brad, that will be no problem at all.  The two types are completely
compatible.  When you bleed the brakes, just pump the fluid out (keeping the
MC reservoir full) until you see the color change from red to clear, and all
the old fluid will be pretty well replaced.

I did EXACTLY the same thing in my Mitsubishi about 4 years ago and the
brakes have never been so good.

DO NOT mix DOT 5 (sillycone) with DOT 3 or 4.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"