original or modified?

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: original or modified?
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 16:26:14 -0500
i'm not a judge for any healey group.   iam an AACA national judge and am a
past classic chevy club(55-57) national judge.  i can apreciate an original
restoration as well as a modified creation.  i'm now prompted to to share my
feelings that have led me to this place though.  about 15 years ago i met
some local folks that were "healey people".  i was interested in joining the
local club.   i was quite literally snobbed off because first off i had a
bugeye and secondly it was not factory original.    i was quite suprised by
the dividing line between big and little healeys.   with my other
afiliations (55-57 chevy mostly) any 55-57 chevrolet produced car was
welcome and any specialty built car based upon a production car was never
turned away but welcomed with open arms.  in the healey comunity i have
noticed 4 groups.  big and little healeys and stock and modified.   it seems
that you either do or do not belong to one of those 4 groups.  amusingly
enough there is room for evryone.   personally i'd like to own a gold level
car.   i realise i'd have one heck of a time locating enough components to
satisfy my own desire for perfection.   it would take me a long time to find
evrything and i'm not positive i'd be "financially" up to it.   i do not
posess a judging standards guide for bugeyes.   but i figure it would
suprise me!  (i do own the judging level astandards for 55-57 chevy)  my
specialty field in 55-57 chevies was original unrestored cars.   i saw and
was able to judge some of the most original cars in the country!   i'd love
to see healeys like that.    but i figure most of the original unrestored
cars have been encouraged to be restored.   interesting but sad.   so all
this being said i feel comfortable sharing advise on mechanical matters and
body work.   but, i do not feel comfortable giving advise on the proper
items for judging.    my concern is that i may mislead someone to buy or
change something that may be wrong.   i would rather choose to be silent ,
read and learn than be quick with an answer wich may be incorrect.   in
restoration there is very little, to no room for "opinions".  restoration is
based on facts based upon documentation.    i do posess a huge 55-57 chevy
factory and dealer literature collection.   i can speak authourativly (sp.)
on that matter.   but in the healey world my expertise is in modified cars
and race cars.
with all this in mind i have given the local healey club a chance and have
paid my dues.   i'm a person with an open mind.     what will transpire?
i'm uncertain.

chuck.