Lucas 23D Mechanical Advance Dizzy

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas 23D Mechanical Advance Dizzy
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:53:47 -0600
To all,

Followed the thread a couple of weeks back on how rebuilt Lucas 23D Dizzys
were available at Autozone.  Since my switch from twin carbs to the single
HS4, I've felt something wasn't quite right, and you folks suggested the
vacume advance may have changed.  In my quest, I found that down here in
Mobile, both Autozone and Advance Auto Parts show a rebuilt mechanical
advance dizzy, but can't order it.  Discount Auto Parts didn't even show it,
and local foreign parts guys didn't show it either.  However, I tried Napa
Auto Parts, and they were able to order one, part number 31-400, for $78.39,
and had it here in four days.  It has Lucas 23D stamped on it, and the rotor
and cap from the 25D (vacume advance) I already had fit just fine.
Installing was a bit of a question as the offset bar on the shaft was 180
degrees out from the 25D that was in the car (as well as my spare 25D), but
by rewiring the cap shifted 180 degrees, it works just fine.  This new 23D
seems to give me more power over 4000rpm, where I guess the vacume advance
had problems.  I'm very pleased and want to thank you all very much for the
help.  My new exhaust from APT should be here in a few days, and I'm greatly
looking forward to that!

thanks again for all the help!
Coastie Bob
'74 Midget (new dizzy)