Re: Hello-Newbie (more)

To: "Loud Sprite" <loudsprite@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Hello-Newbie (more)
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 21:18:14 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> "Spitting exhaust" upon deceleration......

My brother used to call this "IMSA pop" when my Sprite did it in High
School. It sounds REALLY cool when you have a straight pipe coming out of a
header...

> Mixture leans out along with advanced
> timing (much vacuum); totally normal
> unless you've leaky exhaust valves.

I was told it indicates a slightly rich mixture.  Unburned gases collect in
the exhaust system, and when the mixture leans on decel (as indicated
above), the lean charge in the cylinders is still burning when the exhaust
valve opens, and this ignites the collected unburned gases in the exhaust
system.

I always figured it was better to be a little on the rich side anyway, so I
didn't worry about it.