Paging David Campbell

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Paging David Campbell
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:04:02 -0500
Hi, Spridgeteers!

Is David Campbell (Lancer7676) still on the list?   I sent him e-mail
recently but got no answer and no bounce message.

When last I wrote about a month ago, I related that I had a problem with my
'73 Midget (1275 engine) while about 250 miles from home.  It was blowing
oil all over the engine bay and dripping off the bottom of the car,
intermittently puffing clouds of smoke out the tailpipe, and had oil
pressure that was too high, although the engine was running fine otherwise
and had no detectable power loss.   This happened suddenly, and I eventually
towed the car home.

Before tearing into it, I was letting it idle in the driveway, and all was
normal for about 5 minutes:  no unusual oil or smoke and the engine was
running fine.  Then, it started pouring out clouds of smoke that appeared to
me to be more white than blue.  Two guys actually came around the corner of
my house to check it out because they thought my house was on fire!

Anyway, I pulled the head.  The gasket appears fine, and so does the head.
No obvious cracks in either that I can see.  I did find oil pooled in the
rear tube of the intake manifold and small pieces missing from the edges of
#2 piston.

I'm currently devoting all my time and money to preparing my Big Healey for
the cross-country drive to Lake Tahoe in June, so I won't be doing much on
the Midget for quite some time.    Since I raised the issue before, I though
some of you might like to know what I had learned about the problem.

Cheers!
Steve Byers
GAN5UD126009G
Havelock, NC  USA