RE: photos of my Midget at Rally Tasmania (Heritage Rally)

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>, "Larry Macy" <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>
Subject: RE: photos of my Midget at Rally Tasmania (Heritage Rally)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:26:47 +1100 >
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
OK OK. I'll come clean...

(As an aside, last year one competitor was excluded before the start
of Sat morning's stages because he blew over 0.08 on the
breathalyser!!!! Amazing someone would actually take his chances over
the limit on what is the most unforgiving event you can imagine
(110% driving, trees and ditches and drop offs just off the road...)

The grey tube is 4" ducting that I use for cold air to the carbs.

The motivation is that on the dyno, the ambient temp was 18deg C,
but the intake charge temp was 44deg C. The lower density charge robs
HP. So ducting cool air to the carbs help improve matters. I don't
have a cold air box (yet) so there are no "ram" effects (yet)

It is on the "wrong side" simply because I originally intended to use
the heater ducting on the LHS, but after I had done most of the ducting, I
remembered I had already used that for ducting oil cooler lines (DOH!).

BTW, we won our class, 2nd pre-68 car behind a lightweight e-type
and 1st car under 1600cc. There were 7 spridgets and a Mini in the
event. We finished 9th outright and the best I managed was 5th on
a 13km special stage behind 3 post-70 Porsche 911's and a '72 240Z
We had a drama free and fun event!

Mike